Friday, December 14, 2012

Is God in Control?



God is all-powerful.  He can do what he wants, when he wants.  But why doesn't God stop senseless acts of violence against children?  Why does God allow people to have so much free will?  God is not the ruler of this world.

I think sometimes we forget that but senseless acts of evil such as the one that happened today in Newton, Connecticut are a sharp reminder.  1 John 5:19 says,

"We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one."
I John 5:19 NIV

   If you a Christian then God reigns over your life.  Jesus himself says that his "kingdom is not of this world." (John 18:36)  This is something I have been thinking about now for about two weeks and even  more so with the events today in Newton, Connecticut.  


Two weeks ago I attended the funeral of my wife's cousin.  He died as a result of a senseless act of violence.    The minister who offered the eulogy obviously did not know Daniel but in an attempt of comfort said, "God is in control."  He also edified the mourners gathered there by telling them not to ask, "why God?"  I guess I didn't listen to his advice with the start of my blog post!

  After reflecting on those comments I began to question whether God was in control.  Christians will often claim that God is in control but rarely offer theological or biblical support.  I believe the only place that God will be in full control is in Heaven on the New Earth.  Paul writes,


"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body."
Philippians 3:20-21 NIV

   Did you catch that?  We "await a Savior" who by God's power will be able to "bring everything under his control."  Doesn't that imply that everything isn't under his control now?  Isn't that why we are to make Christ Lord of our lives and yield control of our will to God?  And doesn't Jesus encourage us that the "prince of this world" has "no hold on me"? (see John 14:30)  

   I believe this is why we are to live for our citizenship in Heaven.  I believe this is why we need to invest our energy, time, and resources in the kingdom of God and not the kingdom of the world.  I believe we can be apart of God's kingdom today and help increase His reign on the Earth.  God is not in control of this world, but He can be and will be.  I believe this is a prudent time to recall Jesus' teaching on prayer,

“This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’"
Matthew 6:9-13 NIV

My blog is called Carter's Candor, this is what I think, what about you?   

2 comments:

  1. By the way, a friend posted a good article by Ed Stezer about a Christian's response to tragedy. I believe this is worth a read: http://www.edstetzer.com/2012/12/how-should-we-respond-to-such.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,
    I remember one Sunday morning you said something like; bad things happen because earth is not heaven. Earth is imperfect, full of imperfect people.

    I keep clinging to God in good and bad. Days like today don't make me question my faith but make me sadder for those who don't believe. Hope, its what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete